Thursday, July 10, 2014

Freeman Profiles Crusader Jake Shomin

from today's Waukesha Freeman -


Multisport Shomin at CMH
Senior a standout in baseball, basketball, football

Freeman Staff 

WAUKESHA — Maybe someday Jake Shomin can visit Catholic Memorial High School and give a speech about the virtues of the endangered species to which he belongs: The multisport student athlete.


Shomin is the starting catcher on the Crusaders’
 baseball team, which is second in the Classic 8 Conference at 13-7.

Shomin started at guard on the basketball team and was its second-leading scorer at 11.6 points per game.


He was a starting defensive back on the CMH football team, which reached the third round of the WIAA Division 3 playoffs in the fall after winning the D3 state title in 2012.


And he made the honor roll in seven of his eight semesters of high school.


“Being a multi-sport athlete has taught me a lot about myself and about life,” Shomin said. “I learned how to push myself to my limits and that hard work pays off in order to
 earn respect from coaches, teammates and fans.

“It has rewarded me because I think it is important to be a well-rounded person, and also it keeps me active because when one
 season ends another season starts.”

Memorial baseball coach Tim Gotzler has seen Shomin set himself apart on the diamond.


“Jake is a three-sport athlete
 who has played a major role in football, basketball and baseball,” Gotzler said. “In my opinion, baseball is his best sport. He is wise beyond his years and understands the game and how it is played. 

“Jake has been one of my favorite players to work with over the years. I remember doing pitching and hitting lessons with him when he was in middle school. I had him as a student in my AP government class and, obviously, as a member of the baseball team. Jake and I have spent many hours on the phone talking about baseball or anything else that goes on off the diamond.”


Shomin credits several individuals for being instrumental in his development as a baseball player.


“First of all I would have to say my dad, because when I was a kid he made me try being a left-handed hitter. Ever since then, I never switched back to being a righty,” he said. “My parents have always been there to support me, and it is important in such a difficult sport like baseball where it is hard to be successful all the time.


“Next, coach Gotzler has had a major influence on me because he has taught me so much more about the game of baseball that I did not know before, and he has always trusted me on the field. Finally, Charlie Walsh (a 2012 CMH graduate) helped me a lot, because during his senior year (my sophomore year) he taught me how to become a leader — and I have tried to follow in his footsteps.”


Gotzler wasn’t surprised when his players voted Shomin and David McLeod co-captains.


“Jake’s leadership is what separates himself from his peers,” Gotzler said. “He is willing to hold his teammates accountable and challenge them if needed. Jake leads by his words and actions. What I respect about Jake so much is how honest he will be with me about any question I ask him about the team.”


Shomin doesn’t take his duties as co-captain lightly.


“It is an honor for me to have my teammates’ confidence in my leadership and to have earned their
 respect,” he said. “It is important to me as a leader to make sure everyone is on the same page and buying in. I also know that I have to be a role model for my younger teammates so they know what to do when they become seniors.

“This year has been a little different because this is the best our baseball program has done in quite some time, so it is important that we learn how to handle success. I have to make sure that we don’t get too high after a win and that we don’t get too low after a tough loss, which is something that I have learned to manage.”


Shomin, a three-year starter, spent his first two seasons in a utility role. He earned a first-team All-Classic 8 Conference selection and All-State honorable mention last season. He is the Crusaders’ starting catcher this season after catching
 sporadically in past years.

“I have just been patient at the plate and waiting for a pitch that I know that I can drive,” Shomin said. “As a catcher, I help our pitchers figure out how to work hitters and what the other team is trying to do in certain situations.


“For our team, I think our success has come from being overall solid in all parts of the game.”


Wherever the rest of the season takes the Crusaders, Shomin knows he will treasure his CMH experience.


“It has meant a lot to me as I am constantly involved with a sport at CMH,” he said. “The coaches, teammates and experiences that I had will be something I will remember for the rest of my life. I will miss it when it is over.”


Shomin will attend the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he will
 pursue a business education and possibly attempt to make the Warhawks’ defending NCAA Division III national championship baseball team as a walk-on.

“I hope to have a career that I am happy with and a job where I can have a positive impact on the people around me,” Shomin said.


Email:
 


Get to know ... JAKE SHOMIN 

School/Sport
 Catholic Memorial/Baseball
 
Also In My Family Are: my father, Kevin, a lawyer; my mother, Andrea, a certified public accountant; and my brother, Nick, a student at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

The Athletic Accomplishment I Am Most Proud Of Is: winning state in football my junior year.

My Favorite Subject In School Is:
 International Baccalaureate Geography.
My Favorite Teacher Is:
 Mr. Mrochinski.
My Favorite Movie Is:
 'The Dark Knight Rises.”
My Favorite Recording Artist Is:
 Lupe Fiasco
My Favorite TV Show Is: SportsCenter 
The Best Meal My Mother Makes Is: steak and potatoes.
A Bad Habit I Have Is: procrastination.
A Pet Peeve I Have Is:
 slow drivers.
The Thing I Do Best Outside Of Athletics Is:
 having fun with friends.
Coach
 Tim Gotzler
The Person I’d Most Like To Meet Is:
 Mike Trout.
The Last Time I Cleaned My Room I Found: a Pokémon game.
Nobody Ever Says I’m:
 lazy — other than my parents.
My Most Memorable Experience Is:
 winning a state championship in football.
My Most Prized Possession Is:
 my iPhone. 
One Thing People Might Not Know About Me Is: I like all kinds of music.

Class In School/Age
 Senior/18
One Thing I Would Change About Myself Is:
 to have stronger ankles.
One Thing At My School I Would Change Is:
 to be able to wear athletic shorts.

I See Myself In 10 Years
 being: a successful businessman with a family (hopefully two boys).
I Wish Coach Gotzler Would: let us seniors get an at-bat against him on the mound. 

No comments: