Monday, April 21, 2014

Pre-season accolades for Crusader Girls Soccer


Ranked #14 in the country by the National Soccer Coaches Association

Ranked #1, Division 3, in the state by the Wisconsin Soccer Coaches Association


Here is a brief article from Wisconsin Soccer Central:

*The Waukesha Catholic Memorial girls team won all three of its matches on its annual southern trip, extending its unbeaten streak to 36 games (35-0-1). The Crusaders posted a 2-0 victory Saturday over Hilton Head Island, the three-time defending South Carolina High School League Class AAA state champion. Sophomore standout Emily Cervantes scored both goals against the Seahawks (11-2-0), who had their 10-game winning streak snapped. Catholic Memorial also beat Hilton Head Christian 5-0 and Bluffton 7-0, while a scheduled match against Savannah (Ga.) St. Vincent's was rained out. The Crusaders have outscored opponents 175-10 and have posted 28 shutouts in their unbeaten streak, and have allowed more than one goal in a game only once in that span: A 3-2 victory over Hartland Arrowhead on April 10.


CMH Sophomore Emily Cervantes recognized by TopDrawerSoccer.Com as a High School Player of the Week.



Lastly, this past Saturday the Waukesha Freeman profiled CMH alum Leslie Osbourne -

LESLIE OSBORNE: FORMER PROFESSIONAL SOCCER PLAYER
Timing right for Osborne
Former CMH star retires from soccer
By Pat Neumuth, Freeman Staff

 WAUKESHA - Leslie Osborne has retired from her first love.

 The 2001 Catholic Memorial High School graduate announced her retirement from professional soccer March 10.

 She last played with the Chicago Red Stars of the National Women's Soccer League, and she also played on the U.S. National team from 2004 to '08, earning 61 caps.

 Osborne recently talked with The Freeman about her decision to retire from soccer as well as her future endeavors.

Q:WHAT WAS THE MAJOR REASON WHY YOU WANTED TO RETIRE FROM PROFESSIONAL SOCCER?

A: It was about timing. I felt I was preparing to retire for the last few years, just in terms of other careers that I wanted to pursue. I didn't want to end on an injury. I was going to give it one more shot to make the U.S.

 team and realized that I wasn't going to make this World Cup team. I had a great opportunity that I didn't want to pass up, and I wanted to end on a high.

 The high was playing in my last year in Chicago with my club coach (Rory Dames) and where I started in club soccer close to my family and friends. I knew it was going to be my last game last August, but no one else really did.

Q:SO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?

A: I'm back at Santa Clara University and I've been working with the athletic director. I want to be an associate athletic director here. I've been working for them learning the ropes, and I am the director of Jerry Smith Coaching for Life Skills Academy that is starting this summer. He was my college coach, and he's a mentor of mine. It's a program about leadership skills on and off the field. I will help him launch that program while I work with the athletic directors, because that's ultimately what I want to do here.

Q:WHEN DID YOU START?

A: I started in January. They hired me for three months to make sure this was the decision and path that I wanted to go down.

Q:IS IT NICE TO BE BACK AT YOUR ALMA MATER?

A: Yeah, it's pretty amazing.

 We've got a new athletic director and a lot of new faces yet it feels very similar to when I was here. I love the Bay Area, Silicon Valley. I love living here, and I knew I'd come back here. I knew I didn't want to coach. They've been trying to get me back here, and it kind of worked out for both parties. 

Q:  BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO COACH? 

A:  No, I don't. I love to coach but there are just other things that I'd like to do, so the way I'm involved is helping with recruits. I do some of their fundraising and speaking engagements. I'm around the girls, but not on the field as a coach. 

Q:  YOU WERE ALSO A COLOR ANALYST FOR FOX SOCCER? 

Q: I'm still doing that as well. Santa Clara encourages me to still do that, so I will hopefully be doing the Women's World Cup next year and some of their qualifying games this fall. 

Q:  WHAT WAS DOING THAT FIRST GAME LIKE? 

A: I did the U17 (games) in November and U20s in January, then I did the full (national) team at the end of January. It's cool to do those kinds of games when I used to be the player at their age. I know the U.S. system very well and a lot of the players. To have a lot of my former teammates on there and good friends, it's fun to do stuff like that. 

Q:  DO YOU STILL HAVE SOME INSIDE INFORMATION SINCE THEY ARE YOUR FRIENDS? 

A: Yeah. That's probably why they want me to do those games, because they will talk to me. 

Q:  DO YOU STILL KEEP UP WITH WHAT CATHOLIC MEMORIAL IS DOING? 

A: Oh yeah. John Burke and I are still very close. Every time I come home I speak to the women's team. I usually watch a session every Christmas and when I come home in the spring - because I've been inducted into a couple of hall of fames - I've been able to watch the team play. My parents keep me up to date on everything. John and his family are really close, so that's a relationship I really value a lot as a mentor and everything. 

Q: WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE PART OF THAT PROGRAM SINCE YOU HAD TONS OF SUCCESS THERE AND THEY ARE STILL NATIONALLY RANKED? 

A: It was a special experience for me on and off the field as an athlete and a student at Catholic Memorial. They helped me a lot in my development getting a full ride to a D1, top school. To know that program has stayed that consistent, the impact I made along with the coaches and people that continue to make an impact makes it a special place and a special thing. I'd still like to stay involved as much as I can. It was a very important stepping stone in my journey. 

Q:  FASHION AND MODELING IS SOMETHING YOU WERE BIG INTO. IS THAT SOMETHING YOU ARE GOING TO KEEP DOING? 

A: (Laugh). We will see. I did a lot of the modeling and fashion stuff when I was playing. Now that I'm retired, I don't know how much of that stuff I'll do. I'm still an ambassador for Puma. I'll still do stuff for them, but as for walking the runaway, I'm not sure. That will be at more of a fun gala functions. 

Q:  THEN IS THIS GOING TO BE THE RIGHT TIME TO START A FAMILY? 

A: My boyfriend (Ricky Lewis) just transferred from London, England, to the Bay Area, so that's part of the reason the timing was right. Yeah. I'm ready to take that next step and settle down a bit. My life has been really crazy playing professionally for the last nine years. I'm looking forward to settling down.  

Q:  NO PRESSURE ON HIM THEN, RIGHT? 

A: No, not at all. (More laughing). 

You can see the two photos described below in the Freeman today.
Catholic Memorial High School graduate Leslie Osborne, No. 12, played in the 2007 World Cup with the U.S. national team.

Leslie Osborne, right, spent the last season playing professionally with the Chicago Red Stars of the National Women's Soccer League. She announced her retirement from professional soccer in March. 

No comments: