Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Prep Profile - CMH's Mitchell Krismer

 from today's Waukesha Freeman - 

Krismer becomes ‘special player’ 
Freeman Staff 

WAUKESHA – Mitchell Krismer finds it easy to describe his game on the soccer field. 

“Speed kills,” the Catholic Memorial High School senior said. 

But it’s so much more than that. Krismer not only boasts some impressive speed from his midfielder position, but he doesn’t look like someone who should be running down balls the way he does. 

“There are a lot of little guys who are quick, but I’m big and I’m quick,” said Krismer, who stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 165. 

That size combined with speed helped Krismer be selected first-team All-Classic 8 Conference as a junior, and it made him one of the top players on the SC Waukesha U17 team that qualified for nationals this summer. It has Krismer in the middle of a strong season for the Crusaders, one of the state’s top-ranked Division 3 teams. 

“You could see he was going to be a special player coming in as a freshman,” CMH coach John Bisswurm said. “He played a lot for us his freshman year, and he scored a goal that put us ahead at the time in the state final that year. At that point in time, we could see he was going to be a special player. 

“He’s just continually improved every year. The one thing that really jumps out to me the last couple years has been his leadership ability. The way he’s matured has been something very special to see – and his game has come along with it.” 

Krismer began playing when he was 4 years old with Spring City Soccer Club, which is now SC Waukesha. Krismer said the coaches within the club kept him interested and excited to continue playing – and success has helped. 


“We just try to win a lot, and we got moved up as a group and kept winning,” Krismer said. “When I made varsity (at CMH) as a freshman and started, that was when I really started to take the game seriously and dedicated a lot of time to it.” 

Krismer has been slowed – slightly – by a hip injury. He had a fracture in his hip during the club season and missed a good portion of the spring. He came back toward the end of the season and helped the team to nationals – and earn a qualifying spot in the National League, one of the premier club leagues, in November. 

“Going into the (high school) season, I got an MRI as a checkup to make sure the fracture healed,” Krismer said. “It turns out that one didn’t heal and I got another one. 

“Going into my senior year, I had to decide if it was worth playing or not. I decided I couldn’t miss my senior year.” 

Krismer said the resting period for the injury is 14 weeks, and he intends on taking that rest after the National League season. He’s hoping to have a collegiate spot worked out by then as well, as the time he missed during the club season was a prime time for recruiters to watch players. 

“He’s planning on playing in college,” Bisswurm said. “I know he’s got a couple of schools he’s looking at, but he hasn’t really decided yet.” 

Krismer and his team are hoping he has some extra games to impress college coaches. The Crusaders are looking to make it back to the state tournament after missing out last year. 

“He really has come on strong of late,” Bisswurm said. “He has always had that ability to finish, and he has really taken it upon himself his senior year to make sure he makes every effort to help his team.” 

Email: 
 

Get to know ... MITCHELL KRISMER 

School/Sport
  - Catholic Memorial/Soccer 
Coach - John Bisswurm 
Class In School/Age
  - Senior/18 

Also In My Family Are:
 my father, Pat, a physician; my mother, Joli; my brother, Nathan, 20, a junior at UW-La Crosse; and my brother, Derek, 13, an eighth-grader 
The Athletic Accomplishments I Am Most Proud Of Are:
 winning the WIAA Division 2 state championship my freshman year and getting a bronze medal with my club team at nationals this summer. 
My Favorite Subject In School Is: biology. 
My FavoriteTeacher Is: Mr. Mrochinski, who teaches geography. 
My Favorite Movie Is:“
 Borat.” 
My Favorite Recording Artist Is: Waka Flocka Flame. 
My FavoriteTV Show Is: “SportsCenter.” 
The Best Meal My Mother Makes Is:
 French toast bake. 
A Bad Habit I Have Is: taking too many naps. 
A Pet Peeve I Have Is:
 slow drivers. 
TheThing I Do Best Outside Of Athletics Is:
 academics. 
The Person I’d Most LikeTo Meet Is: my favorite soccer player, Zlatan Ibrahimovic. 
The LastTime I Cleaned My Room I Found:
 old soccer cleats. 
Nobody Ever Says I’m: not hungry. 
My Most Memorable Experience Is:
 scoring a goal in the state championship game as a freshman. 
My Most Prized Possession Is:
 Either my bronze medal from club nationals, or my state championship medal from high school. 
OneThing People Might Not Know About Me Is: I love strawberry Kool-Aid. 
OneThing I Would Change About Myself Is:
 to not stay up so late. 
OneThing At My School I Would Change Is:
 to be allowed to wear athletic shorts in school. 
I See Myself In 10Years Being:
 a physician like my dad. 
I Wish Coach Bisswurm Would:
 play team handball more often.

Photo credit: Robert F. Borkowski/Special to The Freeman Catholic Memorial’s Mitchell Krismer, left, fights off an opponent .


No comments: