Friday, October 25, 2013

Boys Soccer advances to Sectional title match

from today's Waukesha Freeman - 

St. Thomas More 1

Memorial makes most of possessions to advance
CMH to play Pewaukee in sectional title match
By Jeff Hagenau, Freeman Correspondent 

WAUKESHA – When it comes to tournament time, every possession counts.

The top-seeded Catholic Memorial High School boys soccer team emphasized that point as it outlasted second-seeded St. Thomas More 2-1 in a blustery, cold WIAA Division 3 sectional semifinal at Waukesha South on Thursday.

Memorial, which won its third straight to improve to 14-6 overall, advanced to play at Pewaukee, the top seed in the other half of the bracket, in a sectional championship game at 1 p.m. Saturday.

With the game tied 1-1 and time winding down in the first half, senior forward Mitchell Krismer scored what became the winning goal off an assist from senior midfielder Ryan Dolan in the 39th minute.

On the game-winner at the 39:09-minute mark to ensure a come-from-behind victory, Dolan took possession on the left side, dribbled down field, juked past a defender and quickly made a pass to Krismer.

“Every inch was a huge struggle, so it was a great feeling to be able to work through their defensive pressure and make a decent pass,” Dolan said. “At that point, my main goal was to drive the ball toward the end line and attempt to get it into a good slot for the finish. We had some good opportunities, so it was exciting to find Mitchell (Krismer) wide open.”

Krismer, who had established good position just outside of the goalie’s box, took control of the ball and promptly fired a strong shot into the far right corner of the net.

“I saw Ryan (Dolan) making the run downfield and tried to get in good position to finish the play,” Krismer said. “The ball took a nice bounce, so I was able to turn my body, get a good foot on it and put it on the frame of the goal. We really wanted to go into halftime with some momentum and luckily the shot fell into place at the right time.

“Once we scored to take the lead, it gave us confidence and we were able to shut them down the rest of the way. With it being the last home game of our career, it was a great feeling to come away with another victory to advance to the next round.”

It proved to be a significant turning point in the fast-paced physical battle as the Crusaders did not allow a shot on goal in the second half. Memorial outshot the Cavaliers 7-2 for the game.

The Crusaders collected their first goal as sophomore midfielder Connor Alba scored following a free kick from junior midfielder Eric Brown in the 11th minute.

Memorial veteran coach John Bisswurm was pleased with how his team responded to the pressure-packed challenge after giving up an early goal.

“After falling behind early, the guys deserve a lot of credit for maintaining their focus and creatively generating opportunities,” said Bisswurm, whose team has won six of its last seven games. “We came back with two goals to take the lead and managed to hold on for the final 40 minutes. With their lethal forwards, we feel very fortunate to come away with a victory.”

Bisswurm was quick to point out that his squad’s defense was a huge catalyst to success.

“Our marking was way too loose in the opening minutes, they found a crease and finished to take the lead,” Bisswurm said. “That ended up serving as a wakeup call, forced us to rectify the situation and helped to minimize their opportunities. After that happened, it allowed us to get into a good offensive flow and get back on track.

“At this time of the year, every game is a dogfight so we just tried to leave the jitters on the sideline and battle from start to finish.”

Junior midfielder Reyes Perez scored a goal in the fourth minute for the Cavaliers, which ended the season 15-4-1 overall.

No comments: