Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Freeman Prep Profile -- Alec Kocour

from today's Waukesha Freeman - 


PREP PROFILE
Catholic Memorial’s Alec Kocour


DEFENSIVE STANDOUT

Young: ‘He is by far the best free safety I’ve ever coached’ 
- Freeman Staff
 

WAUKESHA – Alec Kocour’s role has changed a lot this fall.


The senior will be playing the same positions as last year, but the Catholic Memorial High School football team will need him to be more of a leader this fall.


“Things have definitely changed a lot, because last year we had nine seniors but only one was a lineman. The rest were skill positions,” Kocour said. “This year they’re gone, and I’m one of a few skill players returning on the offensive side and one of the only defensive backs back.


“I’m going to have to help the younger guys
 out early on and help them get set.”


Being the a mentor is something new for Kocour. He grew up around football, as his two older brothers played the sport and helped bring him along. He spent most of his youth football days playing up an age level, so he’s more accustomed to being the young guy in the group.

“We’d always go in the backyard and play, and I’ve loved the sport ever since,” Kocour. “When I was little, my brothers helped toughen me up.


“I played up with my brother who is a year older than me. That really helped to play competition a year older.”


Entering his fourth year as a starter in the defensive backfield, Kocour has a wealth of knowledge for his teammates. He was a starting safety for last year’s WIAA Division 3 state championship team and earned firstteam all-state honors.


He wasn’t sure he’d attend CMH. His mother, Mary, works as a special education teacher at Arrowhead, but Kocour realized there was an opportunity to take the field right away at Memorial.


“My eighth-grade year I figured I could have a shot at playing varsity my freshman year if I came here,” Kocour said. “I ended up starting my
 freshman year. At the beginning it was a little intimidating, but everyone brought me in like a brother. 

“We ended up making it to state, so it’s been a good run so far.”


CMH coach Bill Young couldn’t be happier.


“This is my 36th year as head football coach at Memorial, and he is by far the best free safety I’ve ever coached,” Young said. “His football IQ is off the chart. When you have a great safety who can run the alley, a physical kid, total football player, it’s a great thing. All he does is lift weights, run and train all year for football.”


“He’s an explosive player – a special player. He has a knack for being around the football. He does a lot of stuff well, but most of all is his playmaking ability.”


Kocour also spends time in the offensive backfield, and with the graduation of Associated Press State Player of the Year Matt Hubley, Kocour’s carries should increase this season.


“Running a lot on offense last year, it’s getting almost natural now,” Kocour said. “Everything I do now, I just explode into. I’ll be starting where Hubley was, so I’ll be trying to do what he did last year.”


Kocour, who opted to devote himself solely to football his sophomore year, has received scholarship offers from four Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division IAA) schools and a preferred walk-on position at the University of Minnesota.


“I’m hoping a few more offers come in throughout the season – a big one, hopefully,” Kocour said. “I always knew I wanted to play college football, but I was not sure what level I’d be able to.


“My sophomore year, I started to believe I could play Big Ten football, so I started working on it, lifting, everything.”


Having a mother who works at Arrowhead – alongside several of the Warhawks football coaches – has helped Kocour in his collegiate search.


“They’ve really helped me out with college stuff,” Kocour said of Arrowhead’s coaching staff. “When (college) coaches are at Arrowhead, someone will say, ‘You should check out this kid at CMH.’ They’re really nice and help me out a lot because they know my mom.”


Kocour will have many opportunities to impress
 college scouts, as the Crusaders are hoping to make another run toward a state title this fall. And Kocour figures to be a key player.

“He’s going to have a lot to say about what kind of season we have,” Young said. “He was our switchup running back last year. This year he’s going to see the ball more.


“He is a throwback football player. He’s a superb athlete and totally dedicated. He’s a great young man in the building. People look up to him, his teammates respect him and so does the coaching staff.


“He’s the type of individual that kids really rally around.”
 

Email:
  
Photo credit: Robert F. Borkowski/Special to The Freeman   Catholic Memorial senior Alec Kocour listens to instructions during practice last week.


Get to know ... ALEC KOCOUR 

School/Sport
 Catholic Memorial/Football

Coach - Bill Young

Class In School/Age
    Senior/18

Also In My Family Are:
 my mother, Mary, a special education teacher at Arrowhead High School; my brothers, Broc, 21, who goes to Marquette University; Brad, 19, who will be going to Marquette this fall, and Tyler, 13, who will be an eighth-grader; and my sister, Betsy, 16, who will be a junior in high school.
 
The Athletic Accomplishment I Am Most Proud Of Is: being first-team all-state last year at safety.

My Favorite Subject In School Is:
 science.

My Favorite Teacher Is: coach Young, who teaches physical education.

My Favorite Movie Is:
 “Remember the Titans.”
My Favorite Recording Artist Is:
 Ace Hood.

My Favorite TV Show Is: “SportsCenter.”

The Best Meal My Mother Makes Is:
 chicken cordon bleu.

A Bad Habit I Have Is: biting my fingernails.
A Pet Peeve I Have Is:
 when people try talking to me when I have my headphones on. 

The Thing I Do Best Outside Of Athletics Is: hanging out with my friends.

The Last Time I Cleaned My Room I Found:
 a couple of CDs and a new pair of shoes I hadn’t worn.

Nobody Ever Says I’m: I’m not working hard.

My Most Prized Possession Is:
 my state championship ring.

One Thing People Might Not Know About Me Is: that I’m kind of a softie.
One Thing I Would Change About Myself Is:
 that I wouldn’t get so anxious.
One Thing At My School I Would Change Is:
 to have air conditioning.
I Wish CoachYoung Would:
 let us play music during practice. 







No comments: