Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Freeman coverage of Crusader Football

from Saturday's Waukesha Freeman - 

CMH 37
Milw. Riverside 0

A big second period
Crusaders score 30 in quarter
By Christine Hibbs, Freeman Correspondent 

WAUKESHA – Allowing its opponent only 13 offensive yards in the first half got the defending Division 3 state football champion off to a winning start.

Scoring 30 of its 37 points in the second quarter, the Catholic Memorial High School football team routed Milwaukee Riverside 37-0 in a nonconference matchup Friday night at Waukesha South High School.

Senior wide receiver Ty Schmitt provided the spark to wipe away first-game jitters for the Crusaders, getting a 45-yard touchdown reception from senior quarterback Cam Krausert with 10:36 left in the second quarter. The four-play drive only took 1 minute, 9 seconds and opened up the scoring opportunities for CMH.

“Cam threw a nice ball on
 that. I just looked up and saw it and made the play,” Schmitt said. “That was the momentum-changer. We just took it from there. We just needed the butterflies to go away, and after that play, everyone calmed down and started making plays.”

The next points came on the defensive end with junior defensive lineman Sam Gromacki getting a tackle in the end zone, the safety leading to the longest run of the game.

With Milwaukee Riverside punting on the next play, Schmitt took the return and sprinted downfield, seeing the openings. Then skirting the left sideline, Schmitt sashayed into the end zone untouched for a 65-yard touchdown run.

“We did have the momentum,” Schmitt said. “A lot of credit goes toward the blocking. I know (junior) Tommy Garza had a nice block on the punter that led me to that.”

Schmitt had 130 of Catholic Memorial’s 274 offensive yards. Meanwhile, Milwaukee Riverside finished with 84 total yards.

“The good things are that we shut them out on defense, we threw a touchdown pass and we scored on special teams,” Catholic Memorial head coach Bill Young said. “It was a good start. We got out of here healthy; no one got nicked up.

“We need to keep things in perspective though. Pat (Wagner) does a great job with those kids, but it isn’t like playing Arrowhead and West. It is what it is. We got away with the win, so we’re pumped.”

Leading 16-0, the Crusaders added two more touchdowns in the second quarter, the first an 8-yard run by senior Alec Kocour and the second a fumble recovery on the goal line by junior Robbie Gogin.

Toting a 30-0 halftime lead, CMH came out of the half with a nine-play drive that resulted in its final touchdown, a 2-yard run by senior John Clark that instituted continuous time on the clock.

“We’ve got young kids, and we have to do this on a weekly basis, just keep pecking away and getting better, getting better,” Young said.

Photo credits:

Top - Charles Auer/Freeman Staff Milwaukee Riverside junior defensive back Brion Nash deflects a pass intended for Catholic Memorial senior running back Jake Piette during Friday’s season-opening game at Waukesha South.

Middle - Charles Auer/Freeman Staff Catholic Memorial senior running back Alec Kocour follows a lead block by senior running back John Clark during Friday’s game against Milwaukee Riverside at Waukesha South.

Bottom - Charles Auer/Freeman Staff Catholic Memorial’s Alec Kocour, left, and Jett Siegenthaler contest a long pass with Riverside’s Keyjuan Simond, Jr. and Demetrius Hermon, right, Friday. 

No comments: