Tuesday, August 30, 2011

CMH's Novotny profiled in J-S

from JSOnline.Com --

Catholic Memorial's Novotny bumped into new level
By Dave Boehler of the Journal Sentinel
Aug. 29, 2011




Trevor Novotny [CMH senior] never expected the type of awards he's chalking up.

"I didn't envision this at all," the Catholic Memorial boys volleyball player said. "I was just happy to make the team freshman year and get the opportunity to start. Ever since then, I've been working really hard. Never in my imagination thought all this would come from that."

All this includes being named one of 12 first-team All-Americans by Volleyball Magazine as Novotny enters his senior season.

"I didn't even know there was like an All-American team," Novotny said. "I was kind of shocked when I found the news out."

There's also his state and area player of the year awards as a junior, the same season Novotny helped Memorial win state. He was recently tabbed MVP of a U-16 tournament after helping his club team take first place as well.

"Right now it's exciting to hear about all the accomplishments and everything, but I don't think it's hit me yet," the outside hitter said. "Maybe later in life I'll look back and think how cool it was to go through this and how lucky I am."

Memorial coach Mike Hanneman is in the same boat. "It is kind of hard to believe, yeah," he said. "He deserves all the credit. He did a lot of work off the court and trained real hard, but it is hard to believe."

Novotny, who has narrowed his college choices down to three but does not want to mention which ones, helped Memorial win its third straight Classic 8 Conference title last season.

He then led the team to its first state championship since 2000 with 18 kills and a .367 hitting percentage in a 25-20, 25-22, 25-15 victory over Milwaukee Marquette in the finals.

Novotny finished his junior season with 493 kills, 186 digs, 70 aces, 43 blocks and a .390 hitting percentage.

In late June, Novotny and his West Allis club team won the SCVA boys classic in Anaheim, Calif.

The following month, Novotny led the Lightning to fifth place in the junior national championships in Minneapolis. He was named to the all-tournament team, too.

Novotny also made the USA High Performance A2 Youth Team and was named the best attacker in a tournament after helping his squad take second place in Tucson, Ariz., in late July.

So how in the world is Novotny going to avoid the pressure of living up to his All-American billing, let alone being the reigning state player of the year after winning the state championship?

"There's always going to be pressure, but I kind of, I don't know, try to look past that," he said. "I want to do whatever is best for my team. In the end, it matters how the team does, not how I'm doing. I'm happy if my team does well and I don't. That's what I'm most focused on."

No comments: