Tuesday, February 8, 2011

PREP NOTEBOOK -- Wrestling

from today's Waukesha Freeman --


Johnson among four Waukesha conference champions
Wade, Gantz, Groehler also victorious
By Daniel Mike Freeman Staff



WAUKESHA – Kyle Johnson got a quick wakeup call Saturday.

Wrestling in the 152-pound title match at the Classic 8 Conference Tournament, the Waukesha South High School senior soon found himself on the wrong end of a takedown.

“I was maybe too confident, because he took me down right away,” Johnson said of Mukwonago senior Tyler Zamzow.

But Johnson answered quickly, pinning Zamzow in 2 minutes, 46 seconds for his first conference title.

“I wrestled him a couple of weeks ago, and I knew he was pretty good,” Johnson said. “(The takedown) was a wakeup call. I just told myself to get up and give him no more shots.

Johnson, who did not wrestle in last year’s league tournament after suffering a concussion, has his eyes set on regional competition this week.

“I definitely have a good mind-set for (the regional tournament),” he said. “I’ll be ready.”

Waukesha West junior Branden Wade won the 112 title with a 9-0 major victory over Mukwonago junior Jake Vadnais in the title match. West senior Seth Gantz won the 140 title by beating Arrowhead junior Jake Nelson 3-1 in the title match.

“I was always close,” said Gantz, who finished behind Arrowhead standout Jake Sueflohn at 135 last season. “I always had someone ahead of me or I just missed it. This year, I just kept focused and didn’t let anything get in my way.”

Catholic Memorial senior Matt Groehler won at 215.

“This is our toughest tournament of the year, because the Classic 8 is such good competition,” said Groehler, who finished third at 215 last year and did not advance to state. “All the hard work has paid off for me.

“This is the ultimate for me to prepare (for regionals), because I’ll be coming off a high level of competition.”

No comments: