Saturday, October 30, 2010

Soccer Coverage

from --
photo: Ernie Mastroianni

Catholic Memorial beats Fox Valley Lutheran in double OT

Oct. 30, 2010 9:03 p.m.

Eric Schoendorf kissed the state soccer trophy for at least a minute Saturday.

The Catholic Memorial senior could have smooched it for an hour.

Finally, in their fourth straight try, Schoendorf and the Crusaders won the WIAA Division 2 championship at Uihlein Soccer Park. Memorial survived an epic roller-coaster match and beat defending champ Fox Valley Lutheran, 3-2, in double overtime.

It is the first title for Catholic Memorial (19-6-1), which had lost the last three Division 2 championship matches.

"It's overwhelming," said Schoendorf, a four-year starter who suffered through those three losses. "It's been so much frustration, so much frustration. It's hard to even talk about it. It's unbelievable that we finally did it."

After a slow start, the match picked up steam and stretched belief in the final 20 minutes. The Crusaders had numerous chances in the first half, but Fox Valley Lutheran (24-4-2) appeared to be on its way to a second straight title after Foxes senior Paul Stuebs - who beat Memorial in double overtime for the 2009 title - scored in the 49th minute.

Then lightning struck for the Crusaders. They scored twice in 2 minutes to take a 2-1 lead. Patrick McNulty got the equalizer in the 73rd minute, and freshman Mitchell Krismer headed in Aaron Horvat's pass in the 74th minute to make it 2-1.

But Fox Valley turned a last-gasp corner kick into a stunning goal in the waning seconds of regulation to make it 2-2 and send it into overtime. Pang Chun poked in the ball out of a corner kick scrum.

"All we thought about was here we go again," said Horvat, a junior hobbled by a hip injury. "At the break we came together, and we knew we had to battle as a team."

Horvat had a chance in the first overtime, taking a pass from Schoendorf and facing down Fox Valley goalkeeper B.J. Kiser. But the keeper made a great save.

In the second overtime, Horvat dashed down the left and got off a shot. The ball deflected off Kiser, and junior Ryan Allen was there to send it into the left side of the goal for the winner.

"I saw Aaron was going to shoot it, and I tried to position myself in the middle," Allen said.

The teams played a spirited first half, but neither squad had anything to show for it. In the first 10 minutes, Schoendorf had an opportunity when he beat two defenders and Kiser came out to stop the shot. But Schoendorf's shot was blocked.

Fox Valley got on the board in the 49th minute. Teffie Joyce got the ball and dribbled into the Memorial box. He moved to his left and sent a ball to Stuebs, who pushed it past keeper Ryan Zingsheim.

"I can't say enough for the players," said Memorial coach John Bisswurm. "They never gave up."

Catholic Memorial 0 2 1 - 3
Fox Valley Lutheran 0 2 0 - 2

Second half - 1, FVL, Paul Stuebs (Teffie Joyce), 48:52; 2, CM, Patrick McNulty 72:15; 3, CM, Mitchell Krismer (Aaron Horvat), 73:24; 4, FVL Pang Chun 79:54. Overtime - 5, CM, Ryan Allen (Horvat), 96:29. Shots - CM, 16; FVL, 18. Saves - CM, 6; FVL, 3. Records - CM 18-6-2; FVL 24-3-3.

No comments: