Thursday, October 7, 2010

Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary

For a little bit of context -- the daily mass chapel at CMH is dedicated under the patronage of Our Lady of the Rosary. Our Lady of the Rosary is also referred to in two other ways, Our Lady of Victory and Our Lady of Memorial. Hence, today is essentially the patronal feast day for CMH.

Some history -- (From the Catholic News Agency)

The feast of Our Lady of the Rosary was instituted by Pope Pius V after the Christian victory over the Turks in 1571 and celebrates the powerful intercession and protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary to those who are devoted to praying the Rosary and meditating on the mysteries of the life of Christ.

In the 1570’s Pope Pius V had united the Christian armies against the Turks who were invading Europe from the east, and the outcome was the miraculous victory of the Christian fleet in the battle of Lepanto on October 7, 1571. The island of Malta was attacked by the Turkish fleet, and nearly every man defending the fortress was killed in battle.

The Pope sent out a fleet to meet the enemy, requesting that each man on board pray the Rosary and receive communion. Meanwhile, he called on all of Europe to recite the Rosary and ordered a forty hour devotion in Rome during the time of the battle. The Christian fleet, vastly outnumbered by the Turks, inflicted an impossible defeat on the Turkish navy, demolishing the entire fleet.

In memory of the triumph he declared that day as the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary because of her intercession in answering the mass recitation of the Rosary and obtaining the victory. For this reason he has also been called ‘the Pope of the Rosary’.

Pope Clement XI, after another important victory over the Turks this time gained by Prince Eugene on August 6, 1716 in Hungary, extended the feast of the Rosary to be celebrated by the Universal Church.

No comments: