Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day 2 in Montreal

.
The gist of today entailed dragging my travel companions (my brother, sister, and a friend) on the typical city tour. The highlights (for me) were the Churches.
.
As I noted in my April newsletter, I made visits to Montreas Cathedral, Ste. Marie Reine du Monde, which is a near exact 1/3 size replica of St. Peter’s in Rome, and then the Irish inspired Basilica of St. Patrick.
.
Our longest stop was at the Basilica of Notre Dame du Montreal (pictured above). I could have spent all day in any of the churches, but Notre Dame is especially beautiful. Tomorrow, it is up the steps to St. John's.
.
Tonight -- the Canadiens - Blackhawks hockey game!
.
*****
I admit that I was remiss on posting yesterday, but most of the day was spent traveling. I have to admit, Air Canada was a far better experience than I had anticipated after how difficult things were in making these "changed ticket" arrangements.
.
That said, the interesting highlight of Day 1 -- Lunch at Canada's famed chain, Tim Horton's. I ordered my deli sandwich and was asked if I wanted to "make it a combo". I looked at the picture menu that the girl gestured to and thought I'd see a perfectly arranged sandwich, soda and fries. Nope, not at Tim Horton's -- here a combo is a sandwich, soda, and a doughnut.
.
And they say American's have bad dining habits. Sadly, I could not supersize my doughnut.

No comments: